While I was planing my world tour three years ago, many travelers told me that I could NOT miss Bolivia. I therefore started to read about this country, both fictions and non fictions (I particularly enjoyed ‘Marching powders’ by Rusty Young) and I decided to add this city / country to my (already too long) wish list.
Of course, this is without saying that to have an enjoyable time, I had to review this (very unrealistic) wish list and cross off many destinations but I somehow couldn’t bring myself to forget about La Paz. Too much had been said and I had to check it out.
It was a brilliant decision and I am delighted to take you this week to La Paz, Bolivia.
About La Paz, Bolivia
- It is located in South America
- One of the highest city in the world: more than 3500m above sea level meters
- It was built on an old Aymaran village in 1548
La Paz’s random and funny facts:
- Very often mistaken for Bolivia’s capital city. Sucre is Bolivia’s official capital city
- San Pedro is the largest jail in La Paz and has a society within itself
- The official name of La Paz is actually Nuestra Senora de La Paz (Our Lady of Peace)
- La Paz has one of the highest golf course in the world
If you have 24 hours in La Paz, have fun:
- Checking the witchcraft area and getting funny potions for your friends – llama fetuses, anyone?
- Wandering the streets, checking out the San Fransisco Cathedral, a catholic church built between the 16th and 18th centuries
- Taking picture of the Presidential Palace, beautiful lit up at night!
- Sitting on the Plaza Murillo for a people watching session – priceless
- Hiring a taxi to head for the scenic outlook point over the city. We arrived by bus so we had a breathtaking view over the city!
Enjoy the trip to La Paz!
Happy trails and remember: Carpe Diem!