For an overdue catch up with one of my besties, we chose to meet up in Lyon. I might not be living there anymore but this city will always have a special place in my heart and it was time for her to explore it.
- It is located 2 hours from Paris, Geneva or Marseille by car / train
- It is France’s second-largest city with 1.7 million people in the Metropolitan area
- It is recognized as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO
- Lyon’s park, called Tete d’or, is one of the world’s largest urban parks
If you only have 48 hours in Lyon, have fun:
- Taking a stroll in the old town “St Jean” where you should stop at “Secrets d’apiculteurs” to taste all sorts of honey
- Jumping onto a funicular to Minimes to discover some Roman vestiges)
- Getting lost in a “traboule” (no worry our traboules are all mapped)
- Visiting the “Basilique Notre Dame de Fourviere”. Incredible view over the city!
- Experiencing our food in a “bouchon” – I really love La Mere Jean. Friendly and funny staff, great food (You should book a table in advance, it tends to be fully booked)
- Checking out “Place Bellecour” and its sculpture of Louis XIV – You might even get to see some street performers
- Sharing a slice of pink pralines pie at “La marquise d’en face” (make sure your best friend does NOT eat the whole slice)
- Taking pictures by night of the beautiful “Place des Terreaux” and our opera
- Wandering on the “Rue de la République”(Warning: you might found yourself going on shopping spree)
- Staying overnight at Mama Shelter (Subway stop: Jean Macé)
- Going for a jog in the beautiful “Parc de la Tête d’or” (tip: an early start should allow you to do it before breakkie)
- Tasting our “coussins“, a lovely sweet treat
Of course, my list is not exhaustive and there are many other gems in Lyon. If you have more time and are interested in museums, exhibitions and other monuments, just check the city website and create your own itinerary: OnlyLyon!
Happy trails and remember: Carpe Diem!